March 22, 2010

Dakota-my son's dog, eats choc chip cookies! Oh no

As Zachary is on the couch trying to dress himself (yes he is 5 and still cannot manage it alone on most days) he is praying to God.... "Lord please help my dog not be so sick"

Dakota is a rescued dog and a scrounger due to that. My fault, left chocolate chip cookies in a ziplock bag WAY up on the counter. Out of her reach, always have food there, but today she managed somehow to get to it.

For those of you who didn't read the other post, I am owner training her to be a Service Dog for my son. There are links below to grants for equipment and info on how-to do this.

We woke up with no Dakota on his side of the bed and I knew something was wrong. Downstairs she was pacing and panting. I spot the paper plate that had the chocolate chip cookies and it's zip-lock bag on the floor. I send her outside and give her a huge bowl of water and jump online. I find an old website which suggested Vet and Ipecac, & keeping an emergency kit for these situations. I knew this was old info and I pack my son who is panicking and dog into the car. I send Zachary off to school crying for his dog and call the Vet on my way there. Turns out chocolate in Toll House pre-made batter is not as poisonous and due to her size she probably will just be sick. Of course they suggest bringing her in and I start my speel. "She is a Service Dog for my special needs child, if this is routine to tell me what you already told me, I seriously cannot afford it. I cannot take from the emergency pool for a typical well visit." She understood and told me watch her then for worsening symptoms, it's just making her sick. She also told me that if she already was vomiting then no need to induce with more meds. She said had I caught her eating them, then give the inducer. Otherwise she is doing well on her own with spitting it up. What a relief. How would I explain to my son that his dog was not going to....... oh I just am praising God right now.

I just found this one, in the pink box is the correct answer regarding what types of chocolate per body weight for toxicity.
http://www.webanswers.com/pets/my-dog-ate-chocolate-chip-cookies-51f540

No comments: